Saturday, July 7, 2012

Friday Night

Alhumdulillah...tonight was good. The women's masjid was open (talk about a head trip with all the locking and the unlocking) but I am not sure it was on purpose. Regardless...it was open and we were able to sit in the masjid together and do what we do. What we do, may not seem like much. However, for some of us...like me...it is all we have, and it keeps us connected to our sisters in Islam, and helps to keep us in the Faith.
      The fairness which one woman in particular is able to bestow upon people and situations that are so negative and volatile inspires me and makes me feel like a crappy person at the same time. Her patience with matters that are so intense is EXACTLY what all the goings on call for...and I am so thankful she is here to be the voice of  (I cringe to say it) reason..and tolerance. As one sister said..."The most beautiful bridge over troubled waters in Utah", and that she certainly is. She laid out the Executive Committee's case for wanting to shut down the meeting and asked for ways to help solve an negotiate the problem while pleasing both parties. The women are adamant about having access to their masjid. Most of the other things seem up for compromise or sacrifice...but the building being closed to us is not. 
      I am not always the most reasonable of people when put in an emotional or defensive situation. I can  usually see clearer as time passes and I think about things. And I can be persuaded pretty easily into tolerance and compromise. Reason...not so easy to talk me into. I think I have been reasonable though...considering all the factors. It is frustrating though that my dear sister does not know all the facts...and only knows what is being presented as facts for the argument in favor of shutting down the halaqa. However it works in our favor that the information presented to her is "just the facts" about justifying the closure of the women's masjid, because those things can all be handled and problems solved pretty easy. It is the personal attacks and the personal power plays that do the real damage and are hard to solve, and alhumdulillah she is NOT one to play those games. I don't like to play them either, but admittedly it is not to hard to make me mad and suck me in to fighting back. Especially when my kid is involved.
      The meeting was wonderful though. Women I have not met yet, women I have not seen in a long time, and women I respect and admire so much were all there. The group was big, and it was so wonderful to be with those women...like it always is. There is a Pot-Luck next week at the Masjid, and more negotiations to take place about how we can have our meetings back.  So for now...tonight I can sleep at peace. So GOODNIGHT beautiful world...I cannot wait to see you tomorrow
     

No comments:

Post a Comment